Job Advertisement - Leinster House PA
Sinn Féin is now hiring for the position of Political Adviser . This position is based in Leinster House. The successful candidate will have a proven background in areas such as International Affairs, Trade, Development and Human Rights. A job description is below. If you feel you are suitably qualified for the post please fill out and e-mail the attached application form to: Ross Carmody, Sinn Féin HR Dept. at email@example.com. Completed application forms must be returned by Monday July 9th.
Job Title: Political Advisor Leinster House
Responsible to: 26 County Political Manager
Main Responsibilities and Duties
The Political Advisor will work:
(i) As part of the Parliamentary Team to develop a radical political engagement in Leinster House.
(ii) To support the individual TD/Senator to whom s/he is designated.
The Political Advisor will work in conjunction with the Leinster House Team Manager in developing the Sinn Fein political programme for Leinster House.
The position is based full time in Leinster House unless otherwise specified.
Key tasks of the Political Advisor will include:
· To develop and implement a programme of work, in consultation with the Team Manager around the portfolio and party responsibilities of the TD to whom s/he is designated.
· To Build Sinn Féin’s Foreign Affairs and Trade profile via spokesperson
· Head up Dáil team’s response to EU Affairs focusing on EU policy scrutiny; frame party responses to political developments at EU level
· Develop policy in priority locations of political conflict in tandem with Sinn Féin International Department as situations evolve
· To develop speedy responses to Government initiatives and policy launches and to provide whatever assistance in required facilitating the Spokesperson TD in holding the government minister whom they are shadowing to account.
· To provide briefing notes, speaking points, speeches and proposals for inclusion in committee work programmes, and for TDs speaking time in Dáil chamber
· To participate in the preparation of campaign and electoral material and policy positions and papers as directed by the Leinster House Manager.
· To submit parliamentary questions to Ministers and Oral Questions to Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade on a regular basis providing background research and follow up questions for TD, also to monitor and process responses
· To prepare publicity material and press statements for the TD to be released by the press office.
· To provide on-going administrative support to the TD, monitoring emails, arranging meetings and coordinating Dáil work with constituency work
· To work with all appropriate personnel in the Six-County Assembly in the development of joint programmes of work, positions, initiatives etc.
· To assist the TD in developing links with other progressive individuals and organisations and to participate in the party’s work regarding the building of alliances as directed by the Leinster House Manager.
v The above is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of a political advisor.
· Essential skills:
v A commitment to the political philosophy of Sinn Féin, and specifically to Sinn Féin Foreign policy.
v A recognised degree in International Affairs or related area desirable.
v A specific interest in International Affairs, Trade, Development and Human Rights
v Ability to working to a deadlines in often pressured circumstances
v Excellent interpersonal skills, a willingness to network with stakeholders and proactively engage with the NGO sector, Department of Foreign Affairs Personnel and Embassies.
v Excellent verbal and written communication skills with capacity to produce portfolio specific literature, reports, submissions etc.
v Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise work projects
v Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
v A willingness to work long hours during Dáil sitting weeks and a commitment to attending occasional weekend meetings with both the Sinn Féin European Department and International Department.
Preferred added experience:
Languages and asset
Previous experience working in the international field
Previous experience working in the NGO sector
Previous experience working in the European institutions
v Ability to write as Gaeilge will be viewed as an advantage