Long awaited but welcome says Ó Caoláin as Lagan Brick dispute resolved
September 13, 2012
Commenting following the resolution of the Lagan Brick dispute, Cavan/Monaghan Dáil Deputy Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin said that ‘this long awaited news is very welcome.’
The Sinn Féin TD, who has been working to bring about an agreed end to the dispute since it started on December 15th 2011, commended the workers and owners of the company on finally reaching agreement on terms acceptable to both parties.
“With the passage of over 270 days of stoic protest by the former Lagan Brick workforce, this long awaited news is very welcome.
“The detail of the terms of the settlement is a matter for the workers and for the Lagan company representatives. While it is regrettable that it has taken so long to resolve the points of difference between both parties, I nevertheless commend both sides on finally reaching agreement.
“I thank Gerry Adams TD and Councillor Jim McVeigh (Belfast City Council) who have worked closely with me and very especially over the last week leading to the achievement of the settlement terms.
“I also acknowledge the efforts of Minister of State Shane McEntee TD.
“I wish the former workforce success in their search for alternative employment. Whatever the future holds for the closed Lagan Brick plant at Kingscourt, I would hope that the former workforce would be given most favourable consideration in the event that this plant reopens under whatever management” concluded Deputy O Cáoláin.