Youth jobs proposal useless without proper funding
September 26, 2012
Sinn Féin Spokesperson on Social Protection Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD has said the Minister’s Youth Guarantee flagship proposal is worthless unless properly funded.
Speaking to the Minister in the Oireachtas Committee this morning Deputy Ó Snodaigh pointed out that the European Commission has budgeted just fifty cent for every young person unemployed across the EU in a scheme the was hailed by the minister earlier in the week.
Deputy Ó Snodaigh said;
“In the Minister’s presentation she makes much of the proposal for a ‘Youth Guarantee’ and describes Youth on the Move as the EU’s flagship initiative.
“But can the Minister tell us what finance has been allocated to this? A recent report from the International Labour Organisation, on the possibility of a youth jobs guarantee, put the cost of a jobs action plan in Ireland at €435 million.
“The reality is that the European Commission has allocated a budget of just €4 million to implement its Youth Guarantee.
“That’s just over 50 cent each for the 7.5 million young people across Europe that are neither in employment, education or training.
“In the absence of funding the Youth Guarantee is a scheme that's going nowhere.”