Government ploughs ahead with cuts to Dublin Youth Services
February 28, 2013
Speaking in the Dáil this morning Sinn Féin Deputy Leader Mary Lou McDonald TD called on the Labour leader Eamon Gilmore to reverse the government’s decision to cut Youth Services funding across Dublin.
Deputy McDonald said:
“Last year the people voted to enshrine the rights of children into the constitution. Labour and Fine Gael told citizens the referendum was an opportunity to state clearly and unequivocally that we, the Irish people, value children and childhood.
“Despite these fine words the Department of Youth and Children is ploughing ahead with cuts to Youth Services throughout Dublin. Worst of all these cuts target the most disadvantaged areas in the city.
“The City of Dublin Youth Services Board is proposing cuts of:
• €62,660 for the Swan project in north Wall
• €11,230 for Cabra for Youth
• €73,852 for the Ballyfermot Youth Service
• €59,020 for the Base in Ballyfermot
• €65,261 for the Bradóg Youth Service in the North inner city
• €122,708 to Sphere 17 in Darndale
• €146,641 for BRYR in Ballymun
“There are many more projects whose services will be deeply affected by these cuts. The scale of the cuts will make some projects unviable and for others the cuts will have a devastating effect on vulnerable young people.
“In some cases the children who benefit from these services are in trauma or in trouble and these youth services are a vital intervention. Importantly the projects are good value for money and a cost saving in the long term.
“These cuts come on top of cuts imposed by this government and Fianna Fáil over recent years and these services are already stretched to breaking point.
“This Government made a commitment to the children of this State and it must be honoured.”