Conditions in University Hospital Limerick A&E ‘simply unacceptable’ – Quinlivan
Sinn Féin TD for Limerick City Maurice Quinlivan has this morning said the scenes and stories described in an RTÉ report on Limerick Hospital’s A&E, whilst shocking and totally unacceptable, are not surprising.
Speaking from Limerick today, Teachta Quinlivan said;:
“This report into the conditions in the new A&E facility at University Hospital Limerick made for difficult listening on RTÉ radio this morning. Reporter Brian O’Connell spent Friday night in the new €25 million Emergency Department in UHL and described the high level of overcrowding and conveyed stories from some of the patients lying on trollies.
“One of the patients interviewed had arrived into the A&E on Wednesday morning suffering from sepsis. She said she was seen within 10 minutes of arriving, but 55 hours later, she was still lying on a trolley in the A&E as there was no bed.
“Another patient, who was 86 years old, was lying on a trolley, but could not move, as previously he had one leg amputated and there was no hoist to get him in and out of the trolley.
“It is disgraceful that these stories are replicated up and down the country week in, week out and there is no sign of the government getting a handle on this.
“UHL was the most overcrowded hospital in the country for the past two months according to INMO figures, with 640 people in June and 662 patients in July, waiting on trollies.
“The 400 bed hospital is at capacity, and construction on the new planned 96 bed extension has not even begun. This crisis continues to escalate, and immediate action is needed before a serious incident occurs.
“The old Emergency Department should be re-opened with additional staff and beds to accommodate some patients as a temporary measure, until a permanent fix is put in place.
“The Minister for Health needs to urgently outline how he is going to address this crisis in UHL.”