831 people on trolleys in UHL in November – Quinlivan
Sinn Féin TD for Limerick City Maurice Quinlivan has said that the crisis in the A&E in University Hospital Limerick is continuing unabated, as he revealed 831 people lay on trollies in the hospital in November alone.
Speaking today, Deputy Quinlivan said;
“The crisis in University Hospital Limerick continues, as 831 people lay on trolleys in November, and the crisis shows no signs being fixed under Fine Gael’s government.
“When the number of people on trolleys hit 902 people in September, I asked for the Minister to intervene. Clearly, this hasn’t happened.
“How long does this have to go on? I fear that the action needed, will only happen after a tragedy occurs due to the overcrowding levels, and, by that stage, it will be too late.
“I am constantly raising the issues facing University Hospital Limerick in the Dáil, but this government is not listening.
“Prior to the opening of the new A&E, I raised the issue of trolley use with Minister McGrath in the Dáil, and he said ‘there is no basis for any suggestion that 24 patients will be accommodated on trolleys in the new emergency department’.
“There actually was a basis for this suggestion, because apart from just two days in the last month, the numbers on trolleys exceeded 24 each day, hitting a dangerous high of 69 people on Wednesday of this week.
“The huge numbers on hospital trolleys is becoming a monthly occurrence, and Minister Harris needs to take radical action, focusing on four main areas; recruitment and retention of staff, reopening closed beds, adequate step down facilities, and proper primary and community care.
“In July, Health Minister Simon Harris expressed his anger when he contacted UHL to criticized management at the hospital over the ongoing crisis in the ED. It is now four months later and the situation worsens on an almost daily basis.
“The €335 million tax giveaway Fine Gael prioritised in Budget 2018 would have gone a long way in addressing this crisis in our health system.”