Be part of building a new Ireland

Save Navan Hospital Campaign Highlights Threats and Opportunities at AGM - Peadar Tóibín TD

7 December, 2017 - by Peadar Tóibín TD


The Save Navan Hospital Campaign held its 7th AGM on Thursday last (30th November). The well attended meeting selected Peadar Tóibín as its Cathaoirleach, Noeleen Donaghue as its Rúnaí, Dr Rúraí Hanely as its PRO, and both John Malone and Mary Anne McCabe as its Treasurers.

Campaign Cathaoirleach An Teachta Tóibín said;

“18,000 patients visited our ED last year. 5,500 of those were admitted to Department of Medicine in the hospital. Our hospital is doing really well in many areas. It is taking on more elective surgery from the Mater Hospital. 

"It's doing well for reducing the length of patient stays. It is beating its targets for readmissions. It is one of the best hospitals in the state in dealing with Heart Attacks and it has good results in dealing with Strokes.  

"The campaign gave a report into the work that has been carried out in the last year including its part in the campaign to ensure the imminent reopening of the St Michael’s Day Care Centre in Walterstown GAA club. The campaign also highlighted the work that it had done in helping to half the Cardiology waiting lists from 2 years to 1 year at Navan Hospital.

The campaign reminded members of iniatives it took in high lighting the near collapse of Navan’s A&E in September due to the unofficial industrial action by Agency doctors. According to An Teachta Tóibín “the reason why Navan was so especially exposed to that strike was that our A&E is scandalously staffed 100% by agency doctors.

“This year we also saw the reversal of what was a great trolley county record at Our Lady’s Hospital in Navan. Throughout all of 2017 the trolley count crisis has been getting worse and now in the latter half of the year Navan had the dubious record of having the highest trolley count in the State. 

"At one stage this year there were 20 people in hospital beds that were clinically discharged but because of cuts elsewhere their treatment pathways where blocked.   

“In October this year we highlighted the news that two thirds of the Consultants Surgeons within our Hospital were to be let go. These have since been replaced but it has not been a like for like replacement. Those Consultants who have come into those roles have work and responsibilities elsewhere preventing them from fully fulfilling the roles.

“Late this year we found out the Ireland East Hospital Group sought permission from the Minister for Health Simon Harris for the closure of our A&E. We understand that Simon told them that they can only do this if they get permission locally to do so. We understand that the Ireland East Hospital Group have set about a campaign to change the minds of health care professions in the county.

“We will not let this happen. The future of the A&E is a red line for us.  We have been looking for a meeting with the HSE for the last 6 months on the hospital but this was abruptly cancelled just last Monday with only a few hours’ notice. 

"Anyone who dismisses such a potential effort to close our A&E should look no further than Port Laoise Hospital which is currently under threat." 

Connect with Sinn Féin

Photos

IMG_8466

An Phoblacht Ad

Videos

1916 Lost Leaders March


Like us on Facebook

Sinn Féin Shop