Archibald urges caution as gorse fire breaks out on Benone Strand
Sinn Féin MLA Caoimhe Archibald has urged caution after a gorse fire has broken out on Benone Strand.
The East Derry MLA said:
“I would urge everyone to be aware of the dangers these fires can pose and to report them as soon as they are spotted, don't assume somebody else will or already has.
“Whether accidental or deliberate these fires are incredibly dangerous so I would urge everyone to exercise caution when they are doing anything around gorse that could start a fire.
“In dry weather these fires can quickly get out of control and move at a frightening pace.
“I would urge the public to be cautious and to assist the emergency services in whatever way possible.”