Time to make a stand – Adams
February 23, 2011
Speaking at Sinn Féin’s final press event of the General Election Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams called on voters to make a stand this Friday and vote Sinn Féin.
“Sinn Féin has made a stand against the bad political choices of the last Government – choices that bankrupted the state, undermined sovereignty and forced ordinary working families to pay the price.
“Fine Gael and Labour are committed to the same bad choices – billions of taxpayers’ money for toxic banks and cuts for those on low and middle incomes
“There is a better way. Through job creation, tax reform and eliminating waste Sinn Féin have shown how the deficit can be reduced over six years.
“Sinn Féin is calling for a referendum on the bank bailout. The people being asked to pay should have their say.
“Sinn Féin seeks to:
• End the political gravy train by cutting the salaries of ministers and TDs
• Abolish the Universal Social Charge and replace it with 48% tax rate on individuals earning over €100,000.
• Reverse cuts in social welfare – the government cut social welfare by €873 million and then paid out €750 million to Anglo bondholders.
“Whatever the outcome of this election, the Dáil needs a strong party of opposition. Sinn Féin is the only party that will stand up for ordinary citizens. All the other parties are for cuts. Sinn Féin is for jobs not cuts, for employment not emigration, for building the economy not cutting it.
• Sinn Féin will get people back to work.
• Sinn Féin will protect working families, the low paid, those on social welfare and public sector workers from attacks on their living standards
• Sinn Féin is for a decent, universal public health system available to all and based on need, not ability to pay.
• Sinn Féin is for Irish interests above those of the IMF.
• Sinn Féin stands for a united Ireland and a new republic.
“It is time for citizens to make a stand. The most effective way to do that is to come out on Friday and Vote Sinn Féin.” ENDS