Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams TD has welcomed the decision by the Government this morning to purchase the National Monument at 14-17 Moore Street.
The Sinn Féin leader commended the Relatives of the 1916 Leaders “without whose diligence this decision would never have been taken”.
Gerry Adams said:
“After years of dithering, and the publication of a very poor and widely criticised 2016 centenary programme, this decision is a step in the right direction. However, it is a very belated decision and fails to match the reality that this is one of the most important historic sites in modern Irish history. Under current plans, the rest of the terrace is to be demolished.”
“There is only one year to go before the centenary celebrations of the 1916 Rising. The government’s failure to properly preserve the National Monument, the Terrace and the Battlefield site, when it was raised in recent years by the relatives and Sinn Féin, means that it is difficult to see how the commemorative centre can be completed by that time.”
“The government now needs to move speedily to establish an Independent Battlefield Survey and to ensure that a comprehensive strategy is put in place by the Minister and Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht which reflects the historic importance the ‘laneways of history’; preserves the full Moore Street terrace; and transforms the 1916 Revolutionary Quarter.”
“Moore Street and the ‘laneways of history’ are where the GPO garrison retreated to after the destruction of the GPO; it is where The O Rahilly was killed; it’s where the 1916 Leaders last met and agreed the surrender to the British forces; and it is where the act of surrender took place.”
“The green outside of the Rotunda is also where many of GPO garrison where held under guard by the British before being marched off to prisons and prison camps, and it was from there that Pádraig Pearse and James Connolly and Tom Clarke and others were taken for court martial and execution.
In any other state this area would be preserved and would be a vital place of remembrance and pilgrimage.”