Be part of building a new republic

Become a Sinn Féin Online Supporter

Top Stories

A Fair Recovery Is Possible

Sinn Féin has launched a state wide campaign for a Fair Recovery. The campaign will involve a series of public meetings and the distribution of close to one million leaflets door to door.

This campaign is about setting out some of Sinn Féin’s priorities and to start a debate about the future, about what type of country and society we want to live in, about equality, and the type of recovery we want.

Visit our special web section A Fair Recovery Is Possible here

A Fair Recovery is Possible logo

Some sights and sounds from the Annual Wolfe Tone Commemoration in Bodenstown, Co. Kildare on June 21, 2015. Main speaker Sinn Féin deputy leader, Mary Lou McDonald TD. During the course of her speech she talked about the need for a fair economic recovery north and south; demanded the British to come clean about collusion; and expressed solidarity with the people of Greece.


Martin McGuinness speaking at Stormont said that Sinn Féin's conditional support for the budget bill will create the space to resolve outstanding issues and ensure the executive has workable and sustainable finances and see the full implementation of the Stormont House Agreement.



Latest Statements

Toggle

Sinn Féin Justice and Equality spokesperson, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has again called on Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin to outline what measures his party intends to take following the comments from Donegal Fianna Fáil Councillor Sean McEniff on RTE's Morning Ireland, where he repeated his call for the segregation of travellers from settled communities.

The comments this morning follow the burning of a house yesterday in Ballyshannon owned by Donegal County Council that was to be allocated to a travelling family.

Deputy Mac Lochlainn said:

“Since Cllr McEniff first made his disgraceful and reckless call a number of weeks ago, there has been a deafening silence from his party leader, Micheál Martin.

“This is an appalling lack of leadership by Fianna Fáil. When it comes to citizens’ rights that party clearly likes to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.

“Last year, Fianna Fáil councillors blocked a motion before Donegal County Council in support of marriage equality for same sex couples even though Micheál Martin had weeks before chastised the Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, across the Dáil chamber on Fine Gael's position on the issue. Not a word of criticism was issued publicly by Micheál Martin after his party's 11 councillors prevented Donegal County Council supporting the motion.

“It is not good enough for Micheál Martin or any other party spokesperson to state that these actions are the ‘personal positions’ of the councillors involved. They are not independents. They were all elected under the Fianna Fáil banner and Fianna Fáil must answer for their actions.”

ENDS

Toggle

Junior Minister and West Belfast MLA Jennifer McCann will host the One Billion Rising Event at Stormont this Thursday. 

 Speaking ahead of the event Ms McCann said:

 "I'm delighted to have been invited to host the Dance Flash event at 12.30pm on the steps of Stormont on Thursday. 

“This is part of a One Billion Rising day of global action on violence against women, which will see events organised in Belfast, Derry and in countries throughout the world.

“Women and young girls throughout the world continue to suffer from horrendous abuse including rape, female genital mutilation, domestic violence and human trafficking.

“In Ireland it is estimated that one in every five women will be a victim of violence and abuse by a partner or ex-partner at some time in their life. In the North of Ireland alone in 2012 there was a domestic violence incident reported to the PSNI every 21 minutes.  

“Nineteen per cent of all the murders in the North between 2011-2012 were domestically motivated and since 1996 in the South out of the 188 women who have been murdered 115 were killed in their homes.

“These are shocking statistics but it must be remembered that these are only the incidents that are reported and very often the crimes and abuse go unreported.

“I would urge people to come out and support one of these events on Thursday to highlight and challenge all forms of violence against women and young girls.

“We need to show society that they have the right to live free from such violence and abuse."

Toggle

Francie Molloy MLA was supported by GAA great Peter Canavan today in Cookstown as he welcomed the announcement that the Mid Ulster By Election will be held on Thursday 7th March. The writ was moved this afternoon in Westminster.

The Sinn Féin candidate in the by election, Mr Molloy MLA said,

“Sinn Féin are more than prepared for this by election, we hosted our launch last week in Galbally Community Centre with over 500 people in attendance, and hundreds of activists have been out over the past 2 weeks delivering 40,000 newsletters to homes across every part of Mid Ulster. We are mobilised and energised by this election campaign, and we welcome the announcement today, to give us a date to work towards.”

“In the time ahead my message to everyone is simple: the people of Mid-Ulster can rely on Sinn Fein’s record of results. Martin McGuinness and the entire Sinn Féin team in Mid Ulster have laid a solid foundation, and I will continue to champion the right to hope for citizens and communities in Mid-Ulster. We will seek to develop a range of social economy projects – including an engineering training centre; and new local business opportunities to serve the people of the area. We will prioritise the demand that planning decisions must serve the needs of citizens and communities, not simply lines on a map.”

“Sinn Féin will continue to create practical social and economic opportunities and partnerships for the people of this area. We will deepen and strengthen the peace and political process, on the road to Irish unity and independence. So help us continue to build on our record of results, on Thursday 7th March, vote Sinn Féin, vote Francie Molloy.”

Toggle

Sinn Féin’s Maeve McLaughlin MLA (Foyle) has called on Tourism Minister, Arlene Foster to include the Foyle Cup Football Tournament in her Tourism Priorities project.

Maeve McLaughlin MLA said:

“The Foyle Cup Football Tournament should be recognised as a major Tourism Initiative for Derry and the North West. In 2011 the results of an independent survey carried out by Coagent showed the Foyle Cup generates almost 10,000 bed nights in the course of the tournament.

“The report also indicated that for the duration of the 2011 Foyle Cup it generated a return of between £6.74 ( primary host economy) and£13.54 ( secondary Host economy) for every £1 invested by NITB.

“This Tournament has expanded every year since its inception and development by local man Michael Hutton, contributing massively to the local economy, particularly the hospitality and service sector. The numbers of teams entering the competition increases each year, bringing thousands of young people, managers, backroom staff and family members to the Region.

“Minister Foster in her Tourism Priorities document is looking to identify 20 major events to promote and support over the next few years. I am calling on Ms foster to include the Foyle Cup in that list.” CRÍOCH

Toggle

Commenting on the decision by Pope Benedict to announce his resignation, deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness said:

“The announcement of Pope Benedict’s resignation has taken everyone by surprise. Interest understandably centres on his health and the deteriorating nature of it. The resignation of a Pope is a most unusual occurrence and this clearly suggests that Pope Benedict’s has such very serious concern about his health that he feels he must resign.

“The thoughts and prayers of everyone will be for Pope Benedict. I hope that the lifting of the onerous weight of the responsibilities of such an important world leader will ease the burden on him in his retirement.

“I wish Pope Benedict well and like Catholics everywhere look forward to the election of the new Pope at a time when the Church is at a crossroads.”

Toggle

Sinn Féin spokesperson for social protection, Aengus ÓSnodaigh TD, said today that the survivors of the Magdelen Laundries must be given redress for the wrongs done to them.
“The Taoiseach must apologise to these women. His response last week was deeply disappointing. State involvement in the operation of the laundries has already been proven. Senator McAleese’s report reiterates that fact.
“While we would support the forthcoming Fianna Fáil Dáil private members’ motion calling for an apology, we would go further and call for redress too.
“Many of these women are elderly and some are unwell. The time for an apology is now. The women and girls did not voluntarily offer their services and labour, but were young and vulnerable. They were held in institutions, imprisoned and exploited.
“Besides the apology they are due, they must be compensated for lost wages and pension. They should be looked after in terms of their health and housing needs

Toggle

Responding to “the aggressive actions of Tara Mines management in their dispute with workers” Sinn Féin TD, Peadar Tóibín, said: “firstly management break a wage agreement, that is not nine months old, which was to run until 2014.
“Then they unilaterally put the workers on protective notice before LRC negotiations concluded. Now they have said that if the ten per cent wage cut is not agreed to by workers today, they will put the mine into ‘care and maintenance’ by this Friday, not allowing the workers back after that until there is a 25% decrease in wages”.
“All this has happened while the workers have fully engaged with the labour relations resolutions process and have offered management competitiveness and efficiency solutions.
“Last week I raised the Tara Mines management threat of imminent temporary closure in the Dáil with the Minister for Enterprise, Jobs and Natural Resources Richard Bruton.
“Minister’s department needs to engage with management to try and resolve the situation. Tara Mines is one of the largest employers in County Meath, an area that has otherwise become a desert for inward investment.
“I also spoke with the Minister for Communications, Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitt on this issue. Tara Mines is in negotiations with the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources on the issue of licences for the extraction of new ore bodies in the locality and of royalties”.
“Minister Pat Rabbitte must not let the living standards and jobs of hundreds of miners be used as a bargaining chip by the mine in its negotiations. Profitable mining companies extracting Irish resources need to pay fair royalties and should not seek to shirk the burden onto the shoulders of workers”.

ends

Toggle

Sinn Féin MLA Raymond McCartney said the decision by coroner John Leckey to suspend the inquests into 21 controversial killings in the early 1970s was wrong in the first place.

The Derry MLA was speaking after the coroner lifted the suspension he called in November last year.

The Sinn Féin Justice Spokesperson said:

“The decision by Senior Coroner John Leckey to suspend the inquests was disappointing and has now proved pointless.

“That decision to suspend the inquests was deeply concerning and upsetting for the families involved who have already waited too long to find out the truth about the death of their loved ones.

“At the time of the suspension there was a complete lack of respect and sensitivity shown to the families concerned. The families deserve the truth about the killing of their loved ones and they have already waited too long.”

Toggle

Speaking in the aftermath of revelations that the horsemeat contamination has now been identified in 16 countries, Martina Anderson MEP said:

"With the revelations today that the horsemeat contamination scandal has now spread to a staggering 16 countries, the need for answers has become all the more pressing.

"What was last week a serious matter of dishonest and possible criminal actions within the food industry is today one of potential danger to human health. I am deeply concerned that it is being reported that 'bute', a drug used to treat horses which could be harmful to human health, is suspected to have been detected in the latest round of test samples. If the results, expected later this week, confirm the presence of this drug, it will raise serious questions around the risk to human health in the food chain.

"Even if the tests for 'bute' are not confirmed, the uncertainty surrounding the safety of the processed meat sector will continue in the absence of very strong scientific reassurances. The Findus lasagnes for example, some of which were found to contain 100% horsemeat, travelled through France, Cyprus, the Netherlands and Romania before they hit supermarket shelves. The complexity of this train of travel in itself creates additional problems in tracing the source or sources of how the horsemeat entered the food chain.

"While our domestic traceability system, tested last year by the EU and found to be robust, is second-to-none, it is disappointing that our local farmers are being betrayed by the unscrupulous actions of others in the European food chain. It is also concerning that a similarly robust traceability system is not in place throughout Europe.

"As the EU Food and Veterinary Office contact person on the Environment Committee, along with other committee members, I will be attending an Audit meeting in Dublin on 4th& 5th April.  I am also seeking an urgent meeting with the EU Commissioner for Health, Tonio Borg, to raise my concerns on this matter."

Videos

Sights and sounds from Bodenstown 2015


Photos

Gerry Adams