Sinn Féin - On Your Side

New concern over Arlene Foster’s handling of Seaport Giant’s Causeway application

8 November, 2007


North Antrim Sinn Féin MLA Daithí McKay has said that he is extremely concerned at the Environment Minister's handling of the application from Seaport Investments for a private Visitors Centre at the Giant's Causeway.

Mr McKay was speaking after a letter from the Chief Executive of Planning Service to Moyle Council confirmed that he had "conveyed (a proposal) on behalf of the developer" to the Council.

Mr McKay said:

"The Environment Minister said earlier this week that the claim I made that Planning Service conveyed plans on behalf of Seaport Investments to Moyle Council were "utter rubbish". This letter from the Chief Executive of Planning Service totally contradicts what the Minister said and confirms that the claims I made were totally true.

"What is also clear is that the deal that Seaport Investments is offering Moyle Council is absolutely dismal and will result in the Council losing all revenue which it currently generates at the Causeway site.

"The Minister must now inform the public why she lied about this issue on Monday, why senior officials from Planning Service asked that this matter be discussed in private at the Council meeting and why the Chief Executive of Planning Service, by his own admission, conveyed development proposals on behalf of Seaport Investments." ENDS

Connect with Sinn Féin