Minister cuts first sod on A4 dual carriageway at Dungannon
The first sod was cut today by Sinn Féin Roads Minister Conor Murphy to mark the start of £134million road improvement works in the Dungannon area.
Construction of a dual carriageway and the realignment of the A4 at Annaghilla and the A5 at Tullyvar will greatly improve journey times to the west and south for the travelling public and will be of significant benefit to both strategic traffic and other road users in the local area.
The Minister said that the works, which will take three years to complete, were of significant local importance.
"This project had considerable local support from within the Dungannon area and I am pleased to now see the work started.
"The improvements and upgrading of both the A4 and the A5 will greatly improve journey times for both strategic traffic and other road users in the local community.
"These works are part of a much larger package of improvements and are part of the ongoing strategy of improving the Strategic Road network in the north.
"I would like to acknowledge the impact that this scheme has had on the affected landowners - in some cases this impact has been significant in terms of either land loss, or in some cases, loss of their homes. I would thank them for their co-operation to date and in anticipation of their continued co-operation through out the construction period."
Construction of the scheme is likely to cause disruption to traffic on a phased basis, particularly on the sections of the route to be widened. Traffic management arrangements via careful planning and phasing of the works will attempt to limit this disruption as much as possible. It is envisaged that disruption to traffic will be largely confined to the latter half of the three year construction period the scheme.
Notes to Editors:
- A4 Dungannon to Ballygawley Dualling Scheme: The proposed scheme involves upgrading approximately 20.5km of the partially realigned A4 between Dungannon and Ballygawley to high quality dual carriageway standard, incorporating a number of fly-over type junctions and central median safety barrier.
- Improvements to the A4 at Annaghilla: This proposed scheme involves a 3.8km realignment of the A4 single carriageway route between Ballygawley and Augher, including a section of 2+1 overtaking opportunity.
- Improvements to the A5 at Tullyvar: This proposed scheme involves a 3.1km realignment of the A5 single carriageway route between Ballygawley and Aughnacloy, including climbing lanes either side of Tullyvar Hill.
- The total capital value of the A4 and A5 Improvement Schemes is £134million.
- The Design, Build, Finance and Operate (DBFO) Package 2 contract, includes the A1 Beechill to Cloghogue Dualling and the A1 Junction Improvements schemes with a combined capital value of £182million.