Newry Death shocks local community
The Deputy Mayor of Newry and Mourne Councillor Charlie Casey has said that the discovery of the body of a woman in her home in Courtney Hill had shocked everyone.
Cllr Casey said:
"The lady who was disabled has apparently died as a result of a house fire. I would in the first instance convey the deepest sympathy of all to the family of the lady concerned as they try to come to terms with this tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this time.
"On the broader issue of house fires, it is essential that all homes had smoke alarms.
"A smoke alarm is a warning device that detects smoke at the earliest stages of a fire. It is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you precious time to escape. But many people who have smoke alarms are in danger too. The alarm could be in the wrong place, there may not be enough smoke alarms for the size of their home, they may not have checked their alarm recently or the batteries could be missing." ENDS