Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Minister's comments on NI Events Company ludicrous - Paul Maskey

3 June, 2008


Sinn Féin Spokesperson and Chair of the Assembly Public Accounts Committee, Paul Maskey MLA has described Minister Edwin Poots comments on the NI Events Company as 'ludicrous'.

Paul Maskey said:

"During the delivery of a Ministerial Statement to the Assembly on the outcome of a report into the NI Events Company, Minister Edwin Poots told Members that 94% of the Company's creditors had been paid but the Events Company were investigating the remaining 6% of claimants. In the same statement the Minister also stated that he believes that the PSNI should investigate the operation of the NI Events Company.

"This is a ludicrous situation. On the one hand the Minister seems to accept that the Events Company is a competent body to carry out investigations of suspected wrongdoing by others and at the same time by suggesting the need for a Police investigation of the Events Company's own practices suggests suspected criminality by the Company itself.

"If Minister Poots suspects criminality in the operation of NI Events Company surely it is inappropriate to allow it to carry out investigations into the activities of others. If there are suspicions of wrongdoing by either clients of the Company or those responsible for running it then the appropriate agency to carry out any investigation is the PSNI. ENDS

Connect with Sinn Féin