Gildernew announces opening of €36 million European Fisheries Fund
Sinn Féin Minister Michelle Gildernew MP MLA has announced the opening of the first three measures under the current European Fisheries Fund (EFF).
The measures, which will provide grant support to the fish catching, processing and aquaculture sectors totalling £6.5million over the next six years, open for applications on Monday 3 August. The measures are: Collective Actions; Productive Investments in Aquaculture; and Investments in Processing and Marketing.
Minister Gildernew, in making the announcement stated:
“The European Fisheries Fund will provide over £30million (€36million) in assistance to the local fishing industry over the next six years. We are now in a position to open the first three measures of this fund, which will provide opportunities for three key sectors within our fishing industry. These measures will, over the next six years of the programme, provide up to £6.5million (around €7.5million) in grant assistance to promoters who bring forward good, sustainable and viable projects that will develop and restructure the local fishing industry.
“I would encourage anyone with an interest in European Fisheries Funding to visit the DARD website, which provides the documentation and guidance required, or discuss their proposals with Fisheries Grants Unit staff in order that we can start disbursing the funding. It is my intention that all remaining measures within the programme will open for applications immediately upon approval of each measure-level business case.”
Application forms and guidance notes will be available from the DARD website, www.dardni.gov.uk/eff, from Monday 3 August 2009 or by contacting the Fisheries Grants Unit Office, telephone 028 9037 8319 or by e-mail at [email protected]
Note to Editors
- The European Fisheries Fund Programme will provide the NI fishing industry with €36.2million of grant assistance until it closes on 31December 2015. The European Commission is providing €18.1million of support with the remaining €18.1million being provided by Executive funds.
- EFF support is provided under 4 Priority Axis, namely: Priority Axis 1 Measures for the adaptation of the Community Fishing Fleet; Priority Axis 2 Aquaculture, Inland Fishing, Processing and Marketing of Fishery and Aquaculture Products; Priority Axis 3 Measures of Common Interest; Priority Axis 4 Sustainable Development of Fisheries Areas
- Council Regulation (EC) No 1198/2006 of 27 July 2006 on the European Fisheries Fund provides further information on what proposals are eligible for support under the Programme.
- It is anticipated that the Fishing Ports, Landing Sites and Shelters Measure will open in early September 2009 with further measures opening as measure level business cases are completed, with the aim of having all measures open by 30 June 2010.
- Further information is available on the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development’s website at www.dardni.gov.uk/eff.
- Application forms and guidance notes will be available from 3rd August 2009 on the website at www.dardni.gov.uk/eff.
- For further information please contact the EFF Grants Unit on 028 9037 8319.