Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Community in shock at house fire death – O’Neill

24 September, 2010


Sinn Fein councillor for West Belfast, Gerard O'Neill, has spoken of the community’s shock at the death of an elderly man in a house fire in Lenadoon.

Speaking from the scene of the tragic fire Cllr O’Neill said:

"People are extremely shocked. The man who died was a good neighbour, a good friend - people got on extremely well with him. Our thoughts at this time are with his family and friends. The reaction locally is one of total shock."

"The scene is one of complete devastation. It was a severe fire and there is smoke damage to two neighbours' homes."

“The fire was intense and the police and firefighters worked hard to try and save Mr Smith.

"They were on the scene fairly quickly, dealing with a very difficult incident. It was a raging house fire and their professionalism ensured the fire did not spread. They should be commended for their actions."

Connect with Sinn Féin