Sinn Féin to launch “Listening to Rural Ireland” consultation at Ploughing Championships
Sinn Féin spokesperson on agriculture Michael Colreavy will today launch a consultation programme entitled “Listening to Rural Ireland” at 12 noon at the Sinn Féin tent at the Ploughing Championships .
Deputy Colreavy said the aim of the consultation was to engage with a broad spectrum of people in the farming community and inform the party on issues that matter to rural Ireland.
Speaking from the Ploughing Championships Deputy Colreavy said:
“This initiative aims to inform party spokespeople as to the real day to day issues facing the farming and rural communities. The results of the consultation will go towards the formulation of a Sinn Féin policy which will draw on the very real day to day issues that people across rural Ireland are facing.
“We want to hear from as broad a spectrum as possible. We want to provide real and effective representation for rural Ireland.
“We are asking the following five questions:
- What type of farming are you engaged in?
- What do you believe are the three major issues facing Irish farmers at the present time?
- What do you believe are the three major issues facing rural Ireland at the present time?
- Do you feel that your situation has improved or worsened since the introduction of the Single Farm Payment?
- Do you believe that you or a family member will still be engaged in farming in ten years time?
“I am asking people to call down to the Sinn Féin tent at the Ploughing Championships today and take part in our consultation. We want to hear from you.”