Castlereagh scandal could be as big as Brian Nelson case
Sinn Féin Assembly member for North Belfast Gerry Kelly led a party delegation including Kathy Stanton MLA and Cllr. Margaret McClenaghan to meet with the British Security Minister Ian Pearson. The meeting discussed the missing security dossier from Castlereagh which is said to contain the details of up to 400 people.
Mr Kelly said:
"It has been speculated that the dossier removed from Castlereagh contains the details of up to 400 people. It is feared that this document is now in the hands of loyalists. To date nobody has been informed that their details are missing.
"At this mornings meeting I put a number of questions to Ian Pearson about this very serious matter.
"He confirmed that a document was missing. It was the only thing he confirmed
- I asked him what the document contained - he said no comment
- I asked him did it contain people's details - he said no comment
- I asked him was it in the hands of loyalists and why people had not been informed - he said this was based on a PSNI assessment
- I asked him about the media speculation - he said no comment.
- I asked him what regiment the man arrested belonged to - he said no comment
- I asked him was it the RIR - he said no comment
"I believe that we are sitting on a potential scandal. I believe that the British are trying to suppress this story. It has only emerged through leaks. I think that a cover-up could well be under way and that if the truth emerges we could potentially be looking at a collusion scandal of Brian Nelson proportions." ENDS