Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Moore Street campaign must continue – Adams

23 July, 2013 - by Gerry Adams TD


Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams TD was part of the Oireachtas Moore Street support group that met the Minister of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Jimmy Deenihan TD today to discuss the future development of the national monument at Moore Street and the surrounding laneways of history.

Last week the minister set out his proposals for Moore Street but these exclude the battlefield site.

Speaking afterward Teachta Adams said:

“Last Tuesday I was among a delegation of Oireachtas members who visited the national monument in Moore Street. I was shocked by the state of the buildings. They stand in a state of considerable decay. No other state in the world would allow such an iconic national monument, directly connected to the proclamation of its independence, to deteriorate into such a shameful condition.

“The decision by the Minister, announced on the same day, in respect of 14-17 Moore Street changes important aspects of the plan by Chartered Lands for this part of the battlefield site and is good news but it is a mistake to ignore the laneways of history which are an integral part of the story of 1916 and will see most of Moore Street demolished.

“I am also concerned at the lack of consultation by the minister with the relatives of the 1916 leaders or with the Oireachtas group.

“In his remarks last week the minister emphasised that his responsibility was the national monument at 14-17 Moore Street but I believe that this is an abdication of his wider essential role in helping to preserve the battlefield site which includes the location of the death of the O Rahilly; the surrender and the lanes and houses through which the retreating republican leaders exited the GPO.

“I told the Minister that in my view what is needed is a comprehensive development plan that covers the entire battlefield site and not just the iconic buildings at 14-17 Moore Street.”

Connect with Sinn Féin