Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Stanley accuses Fianna Fáil of ‘hypocrisy’ on Aer Lingus sale

28 May, 2015 - by Brian Stanley TD


Laois and Offaly TD Brian Stanley accused Fianna Fáil of hypocrisy on the sale of Aer Lingus. Speaking during a special Dáil debate on the sale, Deputy Stanley said that Fianna Fáil had initiated the privatisation of Aer Lingus in 2006 when they place 75% of its shares on the stock exchange.

Deputy Stanley said:

“While Seán Fleming and Fianna Fáil accuse the Government of being unpatriotic by agreeing to sell off Aer Lingus, they seem to forget that it was they who set this in train. Indeed, their sale of 75% of the company probably brought in less money than the Government intends to sell the remaining 25% state share holding for.

“Fianna Fáil were planning to sell off other state assets including Coillte, and were responsible for the sale to Greencore of the Irish Sugar Company in 1991. That ended with the closure of the entire sugar sector in 2006 when Greencore closed the Carlow sugar factory as part of a property speculation. Not only did that cost hundreds of jobs, and impact hundreds of beet growers, but it also led to the Greencore shareholders taking the lion’s share of compensation money intended for the growers.

“The workers, contractors and, beet growers who were mainly located in Carlow and Laois were left with the crumbs or nothing at all. The sale of Aer Lingus by Fianna Fáil and now Labour and Fine Gael is bad for jobs, customers and for the country.” 

Connect with Sinn Féin