Taoiseach must put pressure on British government to release Dublin and Monaghan bombing files- Cllr Seamas McGrattan.
Sinn Féin councillor and party group leader on Dublin City Council Séamas McGrattan has submitted a motion calling on the Taoiseach to press the British Government to release all files connected with the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.
Speaking to the motion tonight Cllr McGrattan said:
“People in this chamber are, I’m sure all too aware of the tragedy that occurred on Friday, 17 May 1974, when three no-warning car bombs exploded in this City at 5.30 pm.
“Twenty-six people and an unborn child lost their lives on Parnell Street, Talbot Street and South Leinster Street. Ninety minutes later, a bomb exploded in Monaghan town killing a further seven people.
“The UDA Press statement said: 'I am very happy about the bombings in Dublin. There is a war with the Free State and now we are laughing at them'. The truth today is that they are still laughing and will do so until those responsible are brought to justice.
“The UVF, claimed responsibility for the bombings in 1993.Curiously in April 1974, just one month before the bombings, the British government had lifted the UVF's status as an illegal organisation.
“The Barron Report produced in 2003 stated that its findings had been hampered by the reluctance of the British government to release files relating to the investigation. One of the findings of the Barron report states: It is likely that the farm of James Mitchell at Glenanne played a significant part in the preparation for the attacks.
“It is also likely that members of the UDR and RUC either participated in, or were aware of those preparations. These claims were backed up in an RTE documentary aired earlier this year. It also showed former British army personnel backing up these claims.
“It also showed that a top RUC officer raised the issue of paramilitary collusion personally with Margaret Thatcher but his concerns were ignored. Successive British governments refused to launch any internal investigation into the collusion activities of its own army including shoot to kill death squads.
“The all-party Dáil motion passed in July 2008; urges the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to allow access by an independent, international judicial figure to all original documents held by the British Government relating to the atrocities that occurred in this jurisdiction and which were inquired into by Judge Barron.
“There is no other country in the world that would tolerate another government refusing to release files relating to the murder of 34 people on its streets. Successive Irish governments have been pawned off by British prime ministers, and while families of victims are left without justice.
“I would like to pay tribute to the ongoing campaign by the families of those killed in May 1974 and I hope their long fight for justice is coming to an end