Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Mother and Baby Homes Commission cannot allow so many victims to be excluded – Ó Laoghaire

19 July, 2016 - by Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire TD


Sinn Féin TD and spokesperson for Children and Youth Affairs Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire has said that it is unacceptable that 27 Mother and Baby Homes have yet to be included in investigations, saying that “these victims are deserving of justice, and without that, the commission will go down as a failure”.

The Cork South Central TD said:

“These people have been dealt a grave injustice at the hands of the state and this must be addressed in a way that recognises the voices of all victims. As the commission is well aware, there are approximately 27 homes which have yet to be included. It is at the discretion of the commission that its investigations are extended to include these homes, and I would call on the commission to act promptly in this regard. I would ask that Minister Zappone do the same.

“Those that wish to be included are just as entitled as anyone to have their case heard. No victims should be excluded. There is a growing perception that these cases are being put on the back burner, and that in the meantime, people are dying off, without receiving reparations for the suffering they endured, and going to their grave with no justice or closure. The loss of the brave campaigner Victor Stephenson only a few weeks ago underlines this.

“I met with a group of survivors just last week and this was a concern that they have a present. They have asked that victims be given priority by age in an attempt to deal with their cases quickly, and in the hope of some solace. I will be raising these issues with Minister Zappone this coming Thursday evening in the Dáil with the hope of getting some clarification.

“The time for passing the buck and putting things on the long finger has well passed. These victims are deserving of justice, and without that, the commission will go down as a failure.” 

Connect with Sinn Féin