Leaked memo raises serious questions for Eddie McGrady
Sinn Féin Assembly member for South Down Caitriona Ruane today challenged Eddie McGrady to answer the substance of the very serious allegations contained in a leaked NIO memo which appeared in this mornings Irish News, rather than trying to create a smokescreen by making baseless allegations about the source of the leak.
Ms Ruane said:
" I utterly refute Eddie McGrady's allegation that Sinn Féin leaked this NIO memo. This is a futile attempt by Mr McGrady to distract attention from the
substance of the document.. This document is written by a senior British Official. If there is any smear involved it is by that Official. If the author of the memo has libelled Mr McGrady then he should sue him.
" Any objective analysis of Mr McCabe's report shows that:
- If it had been up to Mr McGrady there would be no Peace Process
- According to Mr McGrady every one was out of step except him. This included grassroots SDLP members, John Hume and the Irish and British governments.
- Mr McGrady was opposed to comprehensive, inclusive negotiations.
- Mr McGrady placed narrow party political interests in front of the development of what at that time an embryonic peace process
- Mr McGrady opposed the development of a nationalist consensus on the way forward.
" These are the allegations which Mr McGrady has to answer." ENDS