Cullinane launches Sinn Féin’s Framework for a New Pay Agreement
Sinn Féin TD for Waterford and spokesperson for Public Expenditure and Reform has today launched the party’s framework for a new pay agreement for the public sector, saying that “a strong, properly-funded and resourced public sector is crucial to the economic and social progress of the nation”.
Deputy Cullinane said:
“Lansdowne Road is a lame duck agreement. There is now a clear need for a new pay agreement that is built upon fairness and equality for the public sector.
“Sinn Féin knows that without progressively addressing the primary grievances of public sector workers, currently driving industrial unrest, any new agreement will be as fatally flawed as Lansdowne Road.
“Our approach to a new agreement would be framed by the following elements:
· Equal pay for equal work for post-2011entrants, beginning with the restoration of certain allowances for nurses, non-consultant doctors, teachers and gardaí
· Fair and timely unwinding of FEMPI cuts with emphasis on pay restoration for those under €65,000
· Pay increases for low to middle income workers
· Right to access to industrial relations machinery for gardaí and defence forces
· Investment in public services
· Reduction in agency work and replacement with permanent public sector contracts
“A strong, properly-funded and resourced public sector is crucial to the economic and social progress of the nation.
“An integral step in achieving this goal is to ensure that those working in the sector enjoy equitable pay, conditions and certainty.
“This would help to guarantee the sustainability of effective and responsible public services, which the Irish people both need and deserve.”