Sinn Féin - On Your Side

GLAS money must be paid – Kenny

1 March, 2017 - by Martin Kenny TD


Today, Martin Kenny TD, Sinn Féin’s Agricultural spokesperson, submitted a motion to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine calling on the Minister to ensure that outstanding GLAS and AEOS monies are paid immediately.

The Sligo-Leitrim TD said:

“I am very aware of the financial strain under which many farmers are operating and the excuses, justifications and muddying of the waters from the Department have served only to increase their frustration and stress.

“Since before Christmas, I have been receiving calls from farmers asking me when they will get their money. Each person I speak to is being given a different story from department officials, from problems with their applications, technical hitches, lack of authorisation or even some admitting that at this stage they just don’t know.

“I want these monies paid out. I want a commitment that this will not happen again. I want to know why this happened and if it is an issue of technical problems with the IT system, then it must be rectified.” ENDS

Note: Please see the motion in question below

“That the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine notes:      

-       the financial strain under which many farmers are living at present;

-       the difficulties faced over the past year with price volatility;

-       the rising cost of fertilizer and other agricultural inputs;

-       the high level of commitment by Irish farmers to environmental and greening measures; and

-       the fact that the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine has underspent its budget in 2016:

-       that 85% of GLAS payments are paid in the first tranche with the remaining 15% withheld until the second tranche;

-       the commitment from the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine that all participants in the schemes would receive their first tranche payments before the end of 2016.

and  calls on the Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine:

-       to immediately ensure that the Department pays the first tranche of GLAS and AEOS monies to all participants in the schemes;

-       to ensure that the second tranche payments are timely and efficiently paid as promised in the second quarter of 2017;

-       that farmers are given an explanation for the breach of the farmers’ charter which has taken place in regard to these payments and

-       that measures are taken to ensure that such a delay will not occur again.”

Connect with Sinn Féin