Minister’s move on Magdalene redress welcomed, timely implementation needed – Denise Mitchell TD
Sinn Féin spokesperson on Children and Youth Affairs, Denise Mitchell TD, has welcomed the decision of the Minister for Justice is to accept the applications for redress of women who had previously been wrongfully excluded from the Magdalene Redress scheme due to eligibility criteria being interpreted too narrowly.
Speaking on Wednesday, Deputy Mitchell said:
“I want to welcome the move by the Justice Minister to implement the recommendations of the Ombudsman. It is something which survivors’ organisations and we in Sinn Féin have been calling for since the report was published.
"It is quite shocking to think that women who worked in one of these laundries but were officially recorded as having been ‘admitted to’ a training centre or industrial school located in the same building, were excluded from redress for so many years.”
Deputy Mitchell said the Government must ensure that women who lack the capacity to look after their own affairs are provided all the supports required, as per the Ombudsman’s recommendations:
“As well as rectifying the issue of the exclusion of women from this scheme, the Department must work closely with the Courts Service to ensure that any wardship applications on behalf of women who lack the capacity to look after their own affairs are dealt with in a timely and sensitive manner.
"It is also important that practical supports are provided to ensure these applications are made.”
The Dublin Bay North TD also raised the issue of memorialisation:
“Funding and support also needs to be made available for a consultation of all the women who applied to the scheme so they can meet each other and discuss the question of memorialisation.
"This issue is particularly important due to the planned sale and development of former Magdalene site at Sean McDermott Street.”