David Cullinane TD makes submission for Specialist Cardiac Services for the South East
Deputy Cullinane said:
"I recently made a submission to the HSE's National Review of Specialist Cardiac Services.
"The provision of Interventional Cardiology Services at UHW is an important issue.
"It goes to the heart of whether or not UHW is a Level 4 Regional Hospital providing tertiary care to the people of the South East.
"In my submission to the National Review of Specialist Cardiac Service I make the following points:
- That the Review is based on clinical and medical need, and is underpinned by the National Clinical Programme (NCP).
- That it consults widely with local clinicians, medical experts and the wider community.
- That it is based on the actual population of the South East and not an arbitrary effective catchment population.
- That it must be cognisant of the range of travel time to hospitals outside the region and not the average time.
- That it clarifies the status of University Hospital Waterford as a Regional Hospital.
- And that it identifies need and capacity based on the geographical area the hospital serves, namely the South East.
"I encourage people across the South East to engage with the consultation phase of the National Review of Specialist Cardiac Services.
"The online survey is now available on the Department of Health website (link below).
"Members of the public have until the 17th of August to complete the form."
[Link to HSE survey - https://health.gov.ie/blog/press-release/national-review-of-specialist-cardiac-services-public-consultation/ ]
[Copy of submission by Deputy Cullinane attached]