McDonald launches ‘Clean Our Streets’ Campaign
Sinn Féin Leader Mary Lou McDonald TD today launched a party campaign aimed at tackling the growing levels of illegal dumping and littering across Dublin. The campaign includes a five-point action plan which will include lobbying Dublin City Council and the Government to invest greater resources into street cleaning. Ms McDonald TD was joined by Cllr Gaye Fagan and members of the local community.
Speaking today at the campaign launch in Dublin’s North East Inner-City, the Dublin Central TD said,
“Illegal dumping and dog fouling across the city is on the rise. Apart from the fact that this devalues our entire community, litter and fouling also attract vermin which can lead to serious illness. Enough is enough.
“Today, we have launched our five-point plan to highlight what needs to be done to curb the plight of litter. The Government need to take action and wake up to the reality of littering and fouling. It’s also important that as a community, we all embrace initiatives which will lead to a safer, cleaner and healthier environment for all.”
The five-point action plan seeks to:
· Increase the use of CCTV to detect offenders
· Increase the number of litter wardens across Dublin Central
· Create greater public awareness about implications of illegal dumping and littering
· Increase Dublin City Council’s funding towards street cleaning
· Provide additional stations where dog ‘poop-scoops’ can be obtained