Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Disappointment and anger at further delay to Mother and Baby homes report – Denise Mitchell TD

22 January, 2019 - by Denise Mitchell TD


Sinn Féin spokesperson for Children and Youth Affairs Denise Mitchell TD has said she is disappointed that survivors and relatives of those who suffered in Mother and Baby Homes will have to wait a further year before the publication of the Commission of Investigation’s final report.

Speaking at the Dáil on Tuesday, Deputy Mitchell said:

“This is very disappointing and upsetting news to victims and loved ones of those who suffered in these institutions. 

"These survivors have already faced a year-long delay and to now be told they will have to wait a further twelve months is infuriating and unfair.

“The first question that needs to be asked is how a large amount of files in the possession of the Department of Health only came to light last month, a year past the original deadline for the publication of the report?

“Furthermore, the repeated delays in redress for the survivors of the Bethany Home – who were already wrongfully excluded from the 2002 redress scheme – is totally unacceptable. 

"The continued snubbing of these survivors cannot continue. Nobody underestimates the huge amount of work the Commission must do, but this should not delay the recognition of these survivors and their entitlement to redress”.

Connect with Sinn Féin