Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Lucky escape for residents after gas explosion

11 October, 2005


Sinn Féin Representative for Dublin South East, Councillor Daithí Doolan, has said there, "was a lucky escape for residents in Pearse House following what appeared to have been a gas explosion."

Speaking in Pearse House, Cllr. Doolan said:

"Only for the quick thinking of City Council workers we could have been talking about a far more serious situation. Workers were in the process of carrying out routine repair work using a gas cylinder, when there was gas leak that caught fire. The workers pulled the flaming cylinder away from the flats and onto the landing on the stairs where the gas cylinder burst into flames.

"I opened my front door to see a ball of flames on my balcony. The fire brigage arrived in minutes and put out the fire. Electricity has now been cut off and repairs have begun to the damaged flat. Thakfully there are no injuries but residents are obviously very shaken by the whole experience."

In conclusion Cllr. Doolan called on City Council, "to review and update all gas equipment and have a full enquiry to ensure this accident never happens again. We were very lucky today next time maybe not so lucky." ENDS

Connect with Sinn Féin