Growing frustration over lack of redress for Mother and Baby Home survivors – Mitchell
Sinn Féin Spokesperson for Children and Youth Affairs Denise Mitchell TD has outlined her support for a Redress Scheme for survivors of the Mother and Baby Homes.
Speaking on the Motion, which was before the Dáil on Wednesday, Deputy Mitchell said:
“There is a growing frustration amongst the survivor community over the failure of the Government to deal with the issue of redress.
“This has been compounded by the consistent delays to the final report of the Commission and the insistence that redress will only be considered after the final report is published.”
Deputy Mitchell also raised the case of the Protestant faith Bethany Home:
“The survivors of Bethany Home found themselves wrongfully excluded from the previous redress scheme. The Minister is well aware that this group of survivors is very small and quite elderly.
“The Government must do the right thing and ensure these survivors receive appropriate redress for the hurt they suffered. So far, their pleas have fallen on deaf ears,” she said.
Speaking to the motion’s demand for a Commission of Investigation into the widespread falsification of birth certs which was done to facilitate illegal adoptions, Deputy Mitchell added:
“Minister, I was dealing with a woman recently, an elderly lady who was informed that she was illegally adopted. She had absolutely no idea about it. Can you imagine how a grandmother must feel to be told she is adopted, to know she can never ask her parents about the circumstances because they have passed away, to not know if she has siblings?
“We cannot move on from this issue until we deal with its effects in a comprehensive and open way. Because it is not in the past. For the woman I just referenced it is in fact brand new information. It’s in the here and now. And it’s in the here and now for those people who still do not know what happened to their loved ones in these Homes.”