Sinn Féin - On Your Side

Hartley - nationalist homes attacked in West Belfast

11 August, 2003


West Belfast Sinn Féin Councillor Tom Hartley has said that it is only through good fortune that nobody was seriously injured after houses in the Cupar Street area came under petrol bomb attack from loyalists on both Saturday and Sunday night.

Cllr. Hartley said:

" As the West Belfast Festival drew to a close at the weekend homes in Cupar Street came under attack from petrol bombers in Mayo Link on the unionist side of the peaceline.

" On Saturday night ten devices were thrown and last night twelve landed in gardens in the nationalist Cupar Street area.

" So far this summer has been relatively quiet and I can only hope that these sustained attacks are not an attempt to restart tensions along this interface. I have been in discussions with local community leaders this morning and it is my hope that some sort of dialogue can take place today to ensure that we do not have a repeat of the last two nights attacks." ENDS

Connect with Sinn Féin